POSTING BY JB MADDAWG
As any good accountant will tell you, tax season is the craziest time of year. For us at The ThrowDown, our crazy season begins when the lineup for the 2012 Chicago Comic Con is released, and released, it has been. Let’s get right to the good stuff first and talk about the 50+ celebrities that will be on hand for this years event.
- None other than Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner will be one of the top draws to this year in Chitown, but will only appear on Friday and Saturday. Backing up Shatner in the marquee position will be actress Jeri Ryan (Star Trek Voyager, Body of Proof) although only appearing on Sunday’s event. Comic book legend himself, Stan Lee, will most certainly be a huge draw to thousands of fans, and will be available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Most of these folks will probably be hard to get at and the lines will be ridiculously long. As with most of the headliners, they will probably enforce a “no photo zone” around them, although there will be VIP events featuring them, for a price, of course.
CELEBRITY ROW PARTICIPANTS
- If the headliners are really your thing and you want better interaction, many of the celebs will be organized on one general side of the Donald E. Stevens Convention Center. So what are just some of the names that will fill those booths, you ask? How about:
- Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries) appearing on Saturday, only
- Tom Felton (The Harry Potter films) appearing on Saturday and Sunday
- Jon Bernthal, (The Walking Dead) and Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead, Boondock Saints)
- Lauren Holly (Dumb and Dumber, NCIS) Saturday and Sunday only
- Laura Vandervoort (Smallville, V) Saturday and Sunday only
- Luke Perry and Jason Priestly (Beverly Hills, 90210)
- Hayden Panettiere (Heroes, Bring it On) Saturday only
- James Marsters and Amy Acker (Angel)
- Hollie Marie Combs and Brian Krause (Charmed)
- Bruce Campbell (Army of Darkness, Burn Notice) Saturday only
- Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek Voyager) Thursday and Friday only
These are just some of the top names that will be in attendance at the Comic Con. Add to this list a large pool of some of the premiere comic book artists, creators and writers, and I assure you, the arena will be packed. If you plan on attending, the only truly slower day for attendance will be on Thursday, for obvious reasons. Although, if it’s autographs and celebrity interaction you’re craving, the crowd will be smaller, and the celebrities that are present that day will be more accessible.
If autographs, meet and greets and photo ops aren’t your bag, almost the other entire half of the convention floor will have various comic book booths, novelty items and collectible toys. Not to mention some really great specialty booths, which is where we met our friends from Mind’s Eye Entertainment, and the Zombie Survival Crew last year. Chances are if you have even the slightest interest in pop culture, there will be something that interests you.
For us here at The ThrowDown, things ratchet up to high gear for this event. Our tech producer Johnny Rantivius will be wildly ordering our press passes, making equipment lists, and this year, emailing a certain few celebrities to see if we can’t get a bit more personal than we did last season. As for Big Angry and myself, we’ll be doing research on the celebs we plan on chatting with, and brainstorming about a few segments that will appear on camera.
Big Angry still doesn’t seem 100% that he will be at the show, and this troubles me. If you’re a fan of the The Throwdown, drop us a comment and guilt him into going. I shouldn’t be the only one that has to interview the guy in the 7′,120 degree internal temperature Godzilla costume. Of course, I’m kidding. I would love nothing more than to share the camera with Angry, and frankly, he’s earned a place in the spotlight.
We look forward to covering the event, and if you happen along the Chicago Con, we encourage you to stop in and say hello, and we may even put you on the show. 🙂
I’ve provided the link to the Con’s home page so you can plan your stay. Remember, many celebrities aren’t at the show on every day, so plan wisely, and get there early. http://www.wizardworldcomiccon.com/home-ch.html Hope to see you all there.